Wholesome Slimming World friendly banana muffins that are perfect to enjoy with a nice relaxing cuppa. Or why not have one or two for a quick and tasty breakfast treat.
These banana muffins aren’t only Slimming World friendly but also diabetic friendly. I’ve used wholemeal flour and reliance on the natural sweetness of the banana to compensate for a minimum amount of added sugar. The overall amount of brown sugar in each individual muffin is a tiny 1/2 a teaspoonful. They aren’t overly sweet but the natural sweetness of the banana really shines through. You don’t just have to take my word for how delicious these muffins are however, as when I made them my 8 year old granddaughter was staying with me. She devoured three on the trot declaring them “delicious”!
Now the syn value for these yummy banana muffins is open to some controversy. You see Slimming World say that if a fruit is pureed or cooked it has a syn value, so technically the banana in this recipe should be 4 syns. As I’m sure many of you reading this will know, using a cooked or pureed fruit and failing to syn it is considered a tweak! The idea behind this is that when a fruit is pureed or cooked it is easier to overeat and therefore jeopardize your weight loss. In this recipe you are only going to eat 1/6th of a banana so it certainly isn’t going to cause overeating of bananas. We are all adults here so I’m not going to tell you what to do. If you think that tweaking may harm your weight loss, syn the banana, it will be 4 syns per 100g of banana – weigh your peeled banana to work out the syn value then divide by 6 to find the number of syns to add to each muffin. It will probably be around 1 syn extra per muffin. If however you are happy to use the banana as a tweak and not syn it then these work out at 3 syns each. You can get the syn value down further by using sweetener instead of sugar in the recipe – this would reduce the syns in each muffin by 0.5.
- 100g wholemeal self raising flour
- 1 level tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 banana
- 1 egg
- In a bowl combine the flour and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl peel and mash the banana then add the egg and mix well to combine them.
- Pour the egg and banana mixture into the flour and mix till combined but be careful not to over mix.
- If the batter seems a little thick add a small amount of water. (The batter should be a dropping consistency - see notes)
- Grease a 6 hole muffin tin with a low calorie oil spray or line it with muffin cases. (Silicon cases work well)
- Drop a heaped tablespoon of the batter in each of the six cases.
- Bake in a hot oven 220C for 15-20 minutes. They are ready when risen and lightly brown and a cocktail stick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Lovely eaten while still warm but just as good cold.
To reduce the syns by ½syn per muffin substitute the sugar for sweetener.
If want to syn the banana - weigh your peeled banana. For each 100g it is 4 syns, calculate the syns from the weight then divide by 6 to give the number of additional syns in each muffin.