It’s Friday! Yay! Start of the weekend, end of the working week. Time for a
Scratch that, no need to blow your syns, try the Friday fakeaway instead. On tonight’s fakeaway menu we have Slimming World Pizza. Not a tiny little pizza either, a 10″ pizza to serve 2. Now while it isn’t syn free at 8 syns for half a 10″ pizza, that’s way less than half the syns for a similar amount of pizza from a takeaway.
This Pizza uses the 2 ingredient pizza crust that has been hovering around the Internet for some time now. Even before I rejoined Slimming World this had become the pizza crust of choice in our household. It’s insanely simple and easy to make and the result is everything you’d want a good pizza to be. The two ingredients? Self raising flour and fat free natural yogurt. Yup, that’s right nothing else! Now in case you’re worried, no it does not taste like yogurt so even if you aren’t keen on yogurt give it a try, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
I’ve topped my pizza with syn free toppings and healthy extra cheese so other than the syns in the flour there are no extra syns to count. The pizza pictured is topped with a tasty syn free thick tomato topping (recipe given) along with roasted onions and peppers and some chopped lean bacon. I’ve then used 50g Mozzarella for one of the healthy extra cheese portions and 30g Cheddar for the second. I like to use a combination of Mozzarella and Cheddar, the Cheddar for flavour and the Mozzarella for texture.
Other good syn free toppings include, ham, chicken, mushrooms and tuna, or how about giving it an Indian twist with chunks of the Chicken Tikka Bites? For a Mexican twist try the spicy mince from our Spicy Beef Burrito Bowls. Now the only decision is… how will you top yours?
- low calorie oil spray
- ½ small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- ½ teaspoon sugar (This will add ½ syn to the whole pizza but you could use sweetener)
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 100g self raising flour
- 4 level tablespoons fat free natural yogurt.
- 50g Mozzarella grated (1 HEa)
- 30g mature Cheddar grated (1 HEa)
- Spray a small saucepan with low calorie oil spray and place over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute gently for 2-3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the can of chopped tomatoes along with the remainder of the sauce ingredients.
- Stir well and reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the sauce is reduced and thickened turn off the heat and put to one side until you make the pizza base.
- Remove 1 dessertspoon of the Self raising flour and place to one side to use when rolling out the base.
- Place the remaining flour in a bowl and add the yogurt.
- Mix to a soft dough and shape into a neat ball.
- Use some of the flour that you put aside and lightly dust a clean surface.
- Turn out the pizza dough and roll out to a thin circle approx 10" in diameter, dusting with more of the flour as needed.
- Place on a pizza tray and pop in a hot oven for 5 minutes to partially cook.
- After 5 minutes remove the base from the oven (it should not have begun to brown).
- Top with the tomato sauce.
- Add any other syn free toppings of your choice.
- Sprinkle the cheeses over the top.
- Place back in the oven for a further 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden.