It’s been a quiet old time lately on this site. Those of you who also follow me on Facebook will be aware of the reason. Two weeks ago I was involved in a motorcycle accident which resulted in my dear hubby being airlifted to hospital with head injuries and left me with a fractured metacarpal. We’re recovering well, though hubby is still in hospital. The journey to visit him each day is an 80 mile round trip and as you can imagine, that, and the visit itself takes up most of my day. As a result my meals have largely been quick snacks in the hospital coffee lounge and grabbing whatever is around, (Or takeaway!!!) when I get home.
I returned to my Slimming World group yesterday and weighed in for the first time since the accident, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Even after eating all that rubbish for the past 2 weeks I have only gained 1lb. I’m trying now to get back to some sense of normality, looking at ways that I can food optimise within the current daily trek to the hospital. Yesterday I had a late Slimming World brunch of bacon, sausage, hash brown, egg, mushrooms and tomato, before setting off so that I could last till I returned home. I also used the time before setting off to make a chilli con carne which I could reheat on my return.
It felt so good to be cooking again! Making up and adapting recipes then cooking them (and of course eating them!) is my favourite way to relax so the tensions of the past 2 weeks slowly eased. I wanted to treat myself to some BIG flavours so a chilli con carne seemed an obvious choice, plus it reheats beautifully. I also upped the flavour with a few slightly unusual ingredients – coffee and chocolate! Yes. I did say coffee AND chocolate. They really gave a depth and mellowness to the chilli con carne that lifted it up from just a good recipe to an awesome recipe. Amazingly this recipe is also only a measly half a syn per portion!
Try it. I think you’ll enjoy it too.
- Low calorie oil spray
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 250g lean minced beef
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin mixed beans or kidney beans grained
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee dissolved in 2 talespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon Sweet Freedom Choc Shot
- 2 teaspoons Date Nectar
- A splash of balsamic vinegar
- A beef stock cube
- 100ml water
- Spray a saucepan with low calorie oil spray and add the onion, garlic and minced beef. Stir to break up the meat. Continue stirring until the meat is evenly browned.
- Add the smoked paprika, cumin and chilli flakes. Stir and lightly fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine everything.
- Turn down the heat to low, cover the saucepan with a lid and simmer slowly for at least 1 hour. (The longer you simmer the more mellow the chilli becomes.) Stir every 15 minutes or so to ensure it is not beginning to stick.
- Serve and enjoy!